Welcome to the latest article in our series about the popular game Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for each SWGoH character. While I do not claim to have all of the answers in this game, I do my research and have used every toon I write about extensively. Given this is a new character who I have yet to use this is a breakdown of their kits per the in-game text and my analysis of how best to mod this new SWGoH toon.
Today’s toon to review mods for is one of the newer Ewoks added to SWGoH – Paploo. Added in an update in July 2017, Paploo is the lone Ewok tank that taunts. A quick look at his kit shows that his basic attack, Vigilant Strike, dispels buffs from the target enemy and grants him Defense Up and can also grant Defense Up for another Ewok if he is called to assist (Chief Chirpa…). His special, Diversion, is where he taunts and can land Speed Down on a target enemy, and his other special, Galvanize, dispels debuffs from Paploo and a target ally. Finally, his unique, Don’t Hold Back, at level 8 shows him recovering 5% Health and Protection whenever he gains a status effect, and has him at +25% speed when not taunting.
Main Mods Focus: Survivability. The goal of any taunting Tank is to absorb hits to protect his/her teammates, and Paploo is no different. I would focus on Defense first since his basic grants him Defense Up and the post Mods 2.0 value of Defense mods is much higher.
Additional Areas to Focus: Given the amount of Turn Meter an Ewok team can generate, Speed should be avoided for Paploo. A fast Teebo, Ewok Elder or Chief Chirpa (or all three) will have Paploo taking a turn and getting Taunt up quickly, and avoiding Speed will help keep it up longer. Plus, Paploo has +25% Speed when he is not Taunting, so no need to add more in my opinion. Potency is important to help land the Speed Down debuff with the Diversion special, but survivability really is key to Paploo. I also suggest as much Health and Protection on Paploo as you can as when you get to level 8 that 5% gain of both Health and Protection when Paploo gains any status effect will make him an incredibly tough one to beat. Note that Level 7 of the unique does not include Protection recovery, thus I would focus more on Health in the early stages. Also, Chief Chirpa‘s Ancestral Secrets special grants all allies 20% recovery of their Max Health, so focusing on Health for all Ewoks under his lead is a smart move.
In-game Mod Recommendations: Defense. While Defense is indeed my main focus, a Potency set with high defensive stats or a Health set is a fine choice as well.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Paploo:
I recommend the use of Health, Defense or Potency mods on Paploo, but at least two sets of Defense mods are preferred. Thus, here is my recommended approach for mods on Paploo the Ewok:
- Transmitter (Square) – Defense mod with a primary focus on offense and a secondary focus on defense, potency, health and protection
- Receiver (Arrow) – Defense mod with protection primary, although health and defense would work as well depending on your stats, just shoot for defense, health and protection secondaries
- Processor (Diamond) – Health mod with a primary focus on defense and a secondary focus on health, potency and protection
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Health mod with a primary focus on health and a secondary focus on protection, potency and defense
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Defense mod with primary focus on health and a secondary focus on protection, potency and defense
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Defense mod with primary focus on defense and a secondary focus on health, potency and protection
Note: Transmitter, Processor and Data-Bus mods are MUCH more common. If you can maximize the stats from these using a MK V, Tier A mod that is ideal.
Images courtesy of SWGOH.gg
09.14.18 – Reviewed & Updated by LJ