Welcome to the latest article in our series about the popular game Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for each SWGoH character. As your guest reviewer I cannot claim to have definitive answers, but all toons I’ve written guides for have been maxed out, modded and tested to the best of my abilities.
Today’s toon is the disruptive Droid Tank, MagnaGuard who “…becomes deadly if ignored” – sounds like my wife… A look at his kit shows that his basic attack, ELECTRO STAFF ASSAULT deals physical damage with a 60% chance to inflict offense down for 2 turns. His special DISRUPTION is a physical AoE attack with a 3 turn cooldown and has a 50% chance to remove 30% Turn Meter from each enemy. In addition he then gains 5% TM for each Jedi enemy and 35% TM for any enemy which evades this attack. Finally, his unique RELENTLESS ASSAULT gives MagnaGuard 55% Counter Chance. In addition, at the start of his turn if he wasn’t damaged in the previous turn he gains speed up. If he already has speed up he gains offense up.
Main Mods Focus: Like all the early release droids MagnaGuard is crying out for a Zeta upgrade, but until then he makes a useful tank in Dark Side Territory Battles and could fill a good defensive spot in Territory Wars. There are better droids for a classic HK-47 lead, and he is incredibly slow with a base speed of just 88, but he counters regularly, inflicting Offense Down, and his lack of taunt ability is balanced with his Speed & Offense increasing if you don’t target him. Also, he has good synergy with General Grevious, often gaining taunt as GG is damaged and that triggers more counter attacks. To get the best out of him I recommend a focus on Health/Protection, Critical Chance & finally Potency to increase the chance of the offense down sticking.
Additional Areas to Focus: Speed! Big Speed secondaries really help, and extra Offense & Crit Chance to up his damage output.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH MagnaGuard:
I recommend the use of a 2 Critical Chance sets (4 CC mods) and a Health set (2 Health mods). A +30 speed arrow and +24 potency cross would be highly desirable. Here is what I would suggest (although the set bonuses can be gained from any combination of placements as long as 4 are Crit Chance set & 2 are Health set) :
- Transmitter (Square) – Crit Chance mod with a secondary focus on speed/protection/potency/crit chance
- Receiver (Arrow) – Health mod with +30 speed primary and a secondary focus on protection/health/crit chance/potency.
- Processor (Diamond) – Crit Chance mod with a secondary focus on speed/protection/potency/crit chance.
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Health mod with a Health/Offense primary and a secondary focus on protection/speed/potency/crit chance.
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Crit Chance mod with a protection primary and a secondary focus on crit chance/speed/health/potency.
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Crit Chance mod with a Potency primary and a secondary focus on crit chance/speed/offense/protection.
By Mothman of Descendants of the Empire
Gaming-fans.com Staff Writer
Note: Transmitter, Processor and Data-Bus mods are MUCH more common. If you can maximize the stats from these using a MK V, Tier A mod that is ideal.
Images courtesy of SWGOH.gg