Welcome to another article in our series about Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for individual characters. As your guest writer today I am happy to be covering a character I have invested greatly into – a character I have tested out many times over.
Today’s character review is for one of the most powerful characters in the game, the Hoth monster, Wampa. His shards are only obtained in the Guild Events store. He’s slow to get going, but after a few turns, he becomes a force to be reckoned with. Having only a Dark Side faction tag, Wampa needs to rely on his own abilities to build himself up.
Main Focus: Speed is key with Wampa to get his damage and Turn Meter boosted. His natural offense is high, especially against Rebels where his basic does double damage. However his base Critical Chance is rather low. Early in an arena match he won’t be as effective until he can do his Furious Foe, which starts on a 4 turn cool down. Also, with Wampa’s IceBreaker, he gains an additional 150% Protection. So, the more Protection we can pack on before the start of battle, the more survivable he’ll become.
Additional Areas to Focus: Tenacity, Potency, Offense and Critical Chance. Wampa can be mitigated easily with stun and daze so Tenacity would be nice to see. If you want to use your Wampa as a debuffer, Potency will be an important stat to stack up on. If you’re running with a Zeta Darth Vader, one of Wampa’s few synergies, he can help out zVader with his Damage Over Time debuff on basic. Along the same lines, if you have a Zeta on Wampa’s Cornered Beast, Vader and other DoT’ers will boost Wampa’s damage with each DoT on an enemy. Due to Wampa’s low starting Crit Chance, consider adding CC via mods. However, after 4 turns, once Wampa does Furious Foe, he will gain 40% Critical Chance.
While Wampa still is not a mainstay in most areas of the game, fighting him in the Squad Arena a few times and in the Dark Side Territory Battles, using a Stun or Fracture debuff to corral Wampa is one of the best ways to survive the battle. While we have an understanding of Potency and Tenacity in SWGoH, you have to determine if high Tenacity is worth losing the benefits of others stats like Offense, CC or CD.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Wampa:
Because Wampa can hit so hard, boosting his Critical Chance and Critical Damage is key. While some could look to a 4-mod set of Offense mods, CC & CD are the direction I recommend. Let’s take a look at my preferred approach for Wampa’s mods:
- Transmitter (Square): Crit Damage mod with a primary focus on offense and a secondary focus on speed, protection, tenacity and crit chance.
- Receiver (Arrow): Crit Damage mod with a primary focus on speed and a secondary focus on protection, tenacity, potency and crit chance.
- Processor (Diamond): Crit Damage mod with a primary focus on defense and a secondary focus on speed, protection, potency and crit chance.
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Crit Damage mod with a primary focus on either crit damage or crit chance and a secondary focus on speed, protection, tenacity and potency.
- Data-Bus (Circle): Crit Chance mod with a primary focus on protection and a secondary focus on speed, protection, tenacity and crit chance.
- Multiplexer (Plus): Crit Chance mod with a primary focus on protection and a secondary focus on speed, protection, potency and crit chance.
Note: Transmitter, Processor and Data-Bus mods are MUCH more common. If you can maximize the stats from these using a MK V, Tier A mod that is ideal.
Images courtesy of SWGOH.gg
By Hagar of Descendants of the Empire
Twitter – @andyhagarvo