Our popular Best Mods For series aims to help people mod their characters effectively, and today’s article will be looking at Nute Gunray. As a leader of the Separatist Alliance during the Clone Wars, Nute often showed a shrewd cunning, but was a coward at heart, always looking out for himself. Note that these are mod recommendations based on the character’s kit and actual gameplay to help you in your quest to dominate the Galaxy of Heroes holotables.
In SWGoH, Nute was long seen as a character not worth farming, until a buff to his leadership ability saw him flung into the spotlight. A quick nerf followed, but he still kept some popularity on a couple of specific purpose teams. However, in 2019 we saw a rework of the Separatist faction and Nute Gunray has become much more powerful as a result. He now places the Extortion ability on enemies, one of the game’s most powerful and confusing abilities to date and has remained relevant into 2021. Let’s take a look at how best to use mods on Nute Gunray in SWGoH.
Main Focus: An annoying and fairly powerful foe, Nute Gunray should have a strong focus on Speed first. Your goal in using Gunray is placing Extortion on your enemies, so having a super fast (300+ ideally) Nute Gunray is key. Since he can also dispel buffs on an enemy target with his Motivate special, more frequent turns will only make him more deadly, thus making him a perfect candidate for a set of four Speed mods.
Additional Areas to Focus: Before the 2019 Separatist reworks, Nute gained 65% Crit Chance while stealthed from his unique, Shrewd Tactics, and if he was the leader, another 55%, also while Stealthed. While this is all gone now, how you use Nute Gunray is key as he is best used with a team of other Separatists. His kit is so unique that there really is no need for significant Potency (see below), Offense, Critical Chance or Critical Damage. My suggestion is to mod Nute Gunray for maximum survivability (Defense, Health and Protection) with a blend of Tenacity after Speed to ensure he stays alive as long as possible and can use all of his kit.
Speed Priority: 7/10 – To make Nute Gunray more effective, you want him super fast. However the Separatist teams are not atop the META and likely will not be anything time soon, so this depends on your mod inventory and the makeup of your roster.
In-game Mod Recommendations: Speed & Potency. Speed is essential to make Nute Gunray as deadly, and annoying, as possible, but Potency appears to part of the Mods 2.0 recommendations and outdated and incorrect information provided by Capital Games.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Nute Gunray:
Nute Gunray’s kit sets up the opportunity to confuse and annoy his enemies in all areas of Galaxy of Heroes. The best mod setup to maximixe Nute Gunray’s abilities, in my opinion is;
- Transmitter (Square) – Speed mod with an offense primary and a secondary focus on speed, tenacity, health and protection/defense
- Receiver (Arrow) – Health/Defense mod with a speed primary and a secondary focus on tenacity, health, protection and defense
- Processor (Diamond) – Health/Defense mod with a defense primary and a secondary focus on speed, tenacity, defense and health/protection
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Speed mod with a health/protection/defense primary and a secondary focus on speed, health, protection and defense
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Speed mod with a protection primary and a secondary focus on speed, health, defense and tenacity
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Speed mod with a health/protection/defense primary and a secondary focus on speed, health, protection and defense
Images courtesy of SWGOH.gg
Originally written by PsychoPoet
Updated: January 2021 by LJ