Welcome to the latest article in a series about Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for individual characters. While I do not claim to have all of the answers in this game, I do my research and have used every toon I write about extensively.
Today’s toon to review mods for will be Gar Saxon. The leader of the Imperial occupation on Mandalore in the Star Wars Rebels series, Saxon plays a rather small roll in the Star Wars story to be included in SWGoH. Even his appearances on the show are quite limited, but his addition was likely justified by the lack of Empire characters in the game, especially from the Rebels series. In SWGoH his kit is a good one, but it is dependent on counter attacks and assists, so keeping his survivability up will improve his effectiveness. Let’s take a look at the best mods for Saxon below.
Main Focus: Potency is the key area to focus on for Gar Saxon. Saxon’s value comes from his ability to inflict Speed Down and his counter attacks, and since the counter attacks don’t need any Speed, I will go with Potency as the main focus. However, treat Speed as 1b to Potency’s 1a. His basic can inflict Speed Down, and reduce his cooldowns by 1 if the enemy already has Speed Down, and his AoE special is a Turn Meter reducing attack, both of which will benefit from the added Potency.
Additional Areas to Focus: Speed & survivability. Speed is the norm in SWGoH – 95% of all characters need it. I recommend getting Gar Saxon up to the 160-180 range to enhance his kit. Survivability – defense, health and protection – is key to keeping him alive, and since counter attacks are important for Gar you want to enhance his survivability as much as possible. Depending on who you use him with in an Empire squad that survivability can differ – with Royal Guard you may want more of a Health focus where as used with Grand Admiral Thrawn more Protection is the logical choice. I can also see where an argument can be made for Offense, Critical Chance or Critical Damage. If you feel the need to up his offensive firepower look to those mods and comment below if one is particularly effective for you.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Gar Saxon:
The “ideal mod setup” can be interpreted a few different ways. As I mentioned above, Gar Saxon needs to be both fast and potent, so do all you can to enhance these two areas. Note the plus (Multiplexer) could be a Potency focus if you cannot get enough from secondary stats elsewhere. Thus, here is my preferred mod setup for Gar Saxon:
- Transmitter (Square) – Potency mod with a primary focus on offense and a secondary focus on speed, health, defense and potency
- Receiver (Arrow) – Potency mod with a primary speed (+30 preferred) and a secondary focus on health, potency, protection and defense
- Processor (Diamond) – Potency mod with a primary focus on defense and a secondary focus on speed, potency, offense and protection
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Potency mod with a primary focus on offense and a secondary focus on speed, potency, protection and health
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Potency mod with a primary focus on protection and a secondary focus on speed, potency, defense and health
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Potency mod with a primary focus on defense and a secondary focus on speed, potency, protection and health