Welcome to the Best Mods for Royal Guard – the latest article in our series about the popular game Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for each SWGoH character. While I do not claim to have all of the answers in this game, I do my research and have used every toon I write about extensively. These are mod recommendations and they are certainly not the only option. However we look to help players maximize their characters in SWGoH and we are always open to feedback if you have a mod setup that works well for your gameplay.
Today I’ll be reviewing mods for the Empire’s Royal Guard, one of the Elite, faceless defenders of Emperor Palpatine. Early on, the Royal Guard was considered an essential character for his ability to disrupt arena battles and take a beating, but as time went on his value continued to decrease. With the announcement of Royal Guard as the November 2019 login character for the month, speculation was abound that RG and Emperor Palpatine could get reworks with The Last Jedi coming out in just a few weeks later, but the Imperial Royal Guard continues to border on worthless in the game as 2020 comes to a close. Let’s take a look at what we feel are the best mods to use on Royal Guard to maximize his effectiveness.
Main Focus: Royal Guard’s unique, Unyeilding Defender, gives him TM every turn an ally is hit, and will trigger his taunt whenever one drops below 50% Health. Because he already has a steady trickle of TM, you don’t need a turn to Taunt, and since his Taunt only lasts one turn, Speed isn’t a great stat for him. You want Royal Guard to stay alive, soaking up damage for as long as possible, so survivability stats like Health, Protection and Defense should be your main areas of focus, as seen in the Royal Guard’s Relic Review. Note that Royal Guard gains Health Up from his special ability and recovers Health from his unique, so give that Health stat the attention it deserves.
Additional Areas to Focus: Other than Protection, Health and Defense, Tenacity and Potency are both important. Tenacity will help prevent Buff Immunity and Shock that will prevent your Taunt. After these, Potency is a stat valuable to Royal Guard’s kit as it helps land the Stun and Speed Down debuffs for when you get a chance to use his basic ability, Force Pike.
In-game Mods Recommendations: Defense. The recommendation of Defense in itself is correct, however this feels shortsighted and rather lazy if it is the only stat the devs recommend to focus on with mods. As noted above, Royal Guard gains Health Up from his special ability and recovers Health from his unique, so saying Defense is the only area of focus is is mistake in my opinion. We will see if a November 2019 rework comes and changes things in any way.
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Royal Guard:
Royal Guard has always had a rather straight-forward mod setup for the most part as long as you focus on enhancing survivability stats. Our recommendations for the Royal Guard’s mods would be:
- Transmitter (Square) – Defense mod with offense primary and a secondary focus on health, defense, potency and tenacity
- Receiver (Arrow) – Health mod with health or defense primary and a secondary focus on health/defense, protection, potency and tenacity
- Processor (Diamond) – Defense mod with defense primary and a secondary focus on health, potency, protection and tenacity
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Health mod with health/defense/protection primary and a secondary focus on health, defense, protection and potency
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Defense mod with health primary and a secondary focus on defense, protection, potency and tenacity
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Defense mod with health/defense/protection primary and a secondary focus on health, defense, potency and tenacity
Updated by LJ, October 2020