Welcome to another article in our series about Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes where we take a look at the best mods for individual characters. While I do not claim to have all of the answers in this game, I do my research and have used every toon I write about extensively.
Today’s toon to review mods for will be Emperor Palpatine, one of a select few characters who are opened and starred up through legendary SWGoH events. The Emperor of the Galactic Empire is a Sith and Empire character with a fantastic leader ability. Personally, I used Palpatine in the Arena for several months after unlocking him in the first Emperor’s Demise event as I was fortunate enough to open him at 7-stars earlier than most. He spent time on a Captain Phasma-led team at first, then alongside Wiggs during the Wiggs META before then moving to my Zaul META Sith team. In addition, I used Emperor Palpatine in Phase 3 of the Heroic Tank Takedown Raid as part of the Chirpatine strategy when my Guild was working toward unlocking and strengthening General Kenobi.
Main Focus: This is a tough one. Emperor Palpatine is rather squishy and he is most effective when he stuns and shocks, thus Potency is key. In order to get to the stun & shock, you need Speed to get there faster. So my main focus is going to be Potency as 1a given the need here, and Speed is 1b. Raising his Potency means that his basic, Lightning Strike, and his AOE special attack, Power of the Dark Side, are significantly more effective and possibly dominant.
Additional Areas to Focus: Speed has to be near primary focus so make sure that if that is not your #1 focus it is close to it. Survivability is also important so go for defense, health and protection secondary stats from your mods, but since the February 2018 rework of Emperor Palpatine added two Zeta abilities, Protection is the area of survivability I recommend. Some of the squishy is resolved with a Zeta on the unique which reads “Palpatine has +50% Max Protection, and, when he inflicts Shock, he gains 5% Max Protection until the end of the encounter.”
Ideal Mod Setup for SWGoH Emperor Palpatine:
Emperor Palpatine was a 7-star character on my roster from the initial event to unlock him, and I love the fact that he continued to be one of the strongest plays in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes for nearly a year, and after the rework in February 2018 he is again one of the game’s best toons. Here is my recommendation for the best mods for success with Emperor Palpatine:
- Transmitter (Square) – Speed mod with offense primary and a focus on speed, defense, potency and protection
- Receiver (Arrow) – Speed mod with +30 speed (if you can get health, protection or potency as well that is a huge bonus)
- Processor (Diamond) – Potency mod with defense primary and a focus on speed, potency, health and protection
- Holo-Array (Triangle) – Potency mod with offense primary and a focus on speed, health, potency and protection
- Data-Bus (Circle) – Speed mod with protection primary and a focus on health, speed, defense and potency
- Multiplexer (Plus) – Speed mod with +24% potency and a secondary focus on offense, speed, protection and defense